We are trying to eat a little bit healthier so I decide to make a sweet and spicy kale salad with a homemade citrus dressing.
To our surprise it was actually tasty, filling and satisfying.
Most importantly it was nourishing to the body because kale contains nutrients that help protect the body from becoming run down and ill.
Best of all, this dish was super simple to make and took me less than 15 minutes to put together.
The Ingredients Needed for the Salad
- 5 to 6 cups of finely chopped up kale (you can purchase pre-chopped up kale)
- 2 to 3 cups of shredded coleslaw mix (bag of shredded cabbage from your produce section)
- 1 cup of shredded carrot sticks (you can also get this in your produce section)
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- 1 cup of shelled sunflower seeds
- 2 cups of chunked up bite size cooked chicken
- 1 large green apple cored, seeded and chopped up into bite sized pieces
- Half and orange for about 2 tablespoons of juice
- Sea salt for sprinkling onto the salt for flavor
- Tablespoon of olive oil
The Ingredients Needed for the Dressing
- ¼ cup of honey
- ½ cup of freshly squeezed orange juice from about 3 to 3 oranges
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of melted coconut oil
Steps to Putting the Salad and Dressing Together
- Place the chopped kale, coleslaw mix, shredded carrots, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, chicken bites, and apple chunks into a large serving bowl or dish.
- Drizzle on the orange juice and olive oil and sprinkle the salad with a little ¼ teaspoon of sea salt. Combine the ingredients together well using salad utensils or clean hands. I prefer using clean hands.
- Set the salad a side and start working on the spicy sweet citrus dressing.
- Grab a medium sized mason jar and pour the honey, orange juice, apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, some salt and the melted coconut oil. Place a lid onto the jar and give the ingredients a good shake together to create the sweet and spicy citrus dressing, which will have a lovely thick texture similar to syrup and a golden color to it.
- Serve some of the salad up into bowls and drizzle some of the dressing onto it.
- Eat the sweet and spicy kale salad with chicken bites and citrus dressing right up for a nourishing fulfilling meal.
What Are The Nutrients This Salad Could Provide To The Body?
Now that we have discussed how to make the beautiful healthy salad and dressing let’s talk about some of the nutrients this salad could provide to the body. Let’s start with kale! Kale is a superfood because it is dense in nutrients that help provide the body with a powerhouse of antioxidants, fiber, vitamins K and C, iron, and calcium.
These nutrients are essential for a healthy digestive system, strong bones and teeth, a well-functioning immune system and a healthy metabolism.
Next, we have carrots! Carrots are full of antioxidants and nutrients that are essential for cancer prevention and healthy eyes. Some of the nutrients found in carrots are beta carotene, vitamins A, C, and K, pantothenic acid, folate, iron, potassium copper and manganese.
Other health benefits you do not hear too much about that carrots can provide are healthy skin and nails, and better digestion. Carrots also contain antioxidants that help slow down the aging process.
Another health benefit you might receive from eating this salad regularly beside regular healthy bathroom trips is weight loss.
This salad also contains cabbage and cabbage contains high amounts of water and fiber, which are essential nutrients for filling the body up fast and hydrating it well to keep flushing the toxins and waste out of the body.
Not only does cabbage help with weight loss, but it can also help with improved brain function due to the high amounts of vitamin K cabbage contains. Vitamin K plays an important role for keeping are nervous system functioning the way it was designed too.
Let’s not forget about the apples in this salad. Apples provide a high amount of fiber, which again is excellent for digestion, but it also contains antioxidants and vitamins that help protect against cancer, autoimmune disorders, cardiovascular issues such as heart attacks and stroke, as well as high cholesterol.
To top off the salad we add in some excellent sources of protein and minerals by adding in some chicken and sunflower seeds, which also contain healthy fats essential for providing energy and nutrients for optimal brain function and keeping you fuller longer so you are not snacking on junk food that could cause illness within the body.
End Thoughts to Keep in Mind
Now that you have a lovely new healthy recipe to make and know some of the health benefits of it, it is time to add the ingredients to your grocery list so you can make this quick and easy meal this week.
You can also change up some of the ingredients if you would like.
For example, if you do not like meat, add some tofu, or meaty nuts. If you want more sweet and tanginess toss some tangerine slices on top.
If you don’t like sunflower seeds try shelled pumpkin seeds instead. The greatest thing about this recipe is you can change or add ingredients to create the perfect sweet and spicy kale salad you desire. After all, creating meals in the kitchen should be fun and filled with lots of love to not only nourish the body, but the mind and soul as well.
Sources I Used To Create This Piece Of Content Are:
Health.Facty.com: 10 Health Benefits of Kale and 10 Health Benefits of Apples
Care2.com: 10 Benefits of Carrots
Organic Facts: 20 Amazing Benefits and Uses of Cabbage and 12 Amazing Benefits of Sunflower Seed
I love eating variety of salads and this one is something very nutritious. i can make this over the weekend and bring something for my mom as well.