Chicken burrito bowls, let me just start by saying how deliciously filling yet healthy these bowls are for a weeknight meal.
Especially if you use five homemade recipes to put them together. Those five recipes are homemade smoky lime chili chicken, cilantro lime rice, sweet and spicy Pico de Gallo, creamy guacamole and chili sauce covered beans.
Each recipe is provided below so you can begin making one of the most enjoyable meals at home that you have in a while.
Let’s Start with Smoky Lime Chili Chicken
- Two to three pounds of chicken tenders
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoon of lime juice
- Tablespoon of vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- Teaspoon of dried cilantro flakes
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- Teaspoon of honey
Directions for Smoky Lime Chili Chicken
- Dice the chicken tenders up into bite size pieces
- Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker and place a lid onto it.
- Turn the slow cooker on medium heat and allow the chicken with the seasoning to cook for up to 4 to 6 hours. Chicken will become fork tender and fall apart when it is ready. It should also be super juicy and full of flavor.
Next, Cilantro Lime Rice!
- 2 cups of jasmine rice
- 3 cups of water
- Tablespoon of butter
- Teaspoon of dried cilantro spice
- Tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
Directions for Making the Cilantro Lime Rice
- In a large saucepan place he water and butter and bring these ingredients to a roaring boil on medium to high heat.
- Pour the jasmine rice into the boiling water and turn the stove down to a lower simmer and add and stir in cilantro spice, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Place the lid onto the pan of ingredients and allow it to simmer until the rice becomes tender and all the water is absorbed.
- Once the rice is ready, remove it from the heat and fluff it up with a fork.
Get Ready to Spice Stuff Up with Sweet and Spicy Pico De Gallo!
- 12 ripened red vine cherry tomatoes
- Half of red onion
- Tablespoon of dried or freshly chopped cilantro
- The juice of one freshly squeezed lime
- Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Tablespoon of honey
- Tablespoon of sandwich topper ground up hot peppers or 2 finely chopped up hot peppers of your choice
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon of garlic powder
Directions for Making the Sweet and Spicy Pico De Gallo
- On a cutting board finely dice up the red vine cherry tomatoes. After toss them into a deep mixing bowl.
- Now finely chop up the half of red onion and toss that into the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Add the juice of lime and add in the olive oil, salt and pepper, honey, hot peppers, onion powder and garlic powder. Give the ingredients a good mix together.
- Cover the sweet and spicy pico de gallo with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator so all the flavors can marinate together for about an hour. After, it should be ready to use to create your burrito bowls.
Let’s Get to the Creamy Green Guacamole
- 3 large ripe avocados
- Teaspoon of cilantro
- Tablespoon of lime juice
- Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
Directions for Making the Creamy Guacamole
- Slice open the avocados and carefully from the pit. Scoop out the green flesh of the avocados into a food processor or blender.
- Add in the cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper and blender the ingredients other on high speed until you get a smooth and creamy guacamole.
- Store the guacamole in an airtight container in the refrigerator into you are ready to use it. If you do not it will turn brown from oxidation.
It’s Time to Get Saucy with Chili Beans
- Two 15 ounce cans of drained pinto beans
- 1 packet of mexican seasoning such as taco or fajita
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- ¼ cup of water
- Teaspoon of chili powder
Directions for Making the Saucy Chili Beans
- Open the cans of pinto beans and strain the juice or water from them. Pour the beans into a pan.
- Add in the seasoning, parsley, water and chili powder and mix all the ingredients other.
- Turn the pan of saucy chili beans on medium heat and heat them up just until they are hot. This takes about 7 to 10 minutes. After, you are ready to serve the beans up in your burrito bowls.
Making the Chicken Burrito Bowls
To make the chicken burrito bowls you will need to get out some bowls and fill them with the cilantro lime rice to start. Next, add on your saucy chili beans and after your smoky chili lime chicken chunks.
On top of that scoop on some sweet and spicy pico de gallo and creamy guacamole. After, you can add toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream or finely chopped lettuce to top of the chicken burrito bowls.
Then these scrumptious bowls are ready to serve up and eat.
Now, if you end up with extra ingredients leftover from making this meal you can make burrito wraps with them for a quick and delicious snack or meal.
To do that simply grab a large burrito wrap and fill it with all the ingredients you would place inside your burrito bowls. Then, carefully fold and roll the wrap up until you get a lovely looking chicken burrito that will be just as delicious.
If you are feeling like going vegetarian you can always leave the chicken out, which I sometimes love doing.
End Thoughts to Keep in Mind
As long as you make these recipes from scratch to create the chicken burrito bowls the meal will remain healthy.
It will provide your body with a good dose of protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants essential for keeping the body health and strong.
Most importantly it is figure friendly, and you can premake burrito bowls ahead of time and store them in your refrigerator for quick easy meals to heat up and eat up on those nights when you are super busy, but want to eat something healthier than fast food.
Suffering from dry itchy eyes can be annoying, but there is a way to solve the annoying eye condition by making a homemade herbal chervil eyewash for cleansing your eyes and soothing the irritation.
How is Chervil Beneficial to the Eyes?
Chervil contains antioxidants, vitamins and volatile healing and soothing oils that help cleanse the eyes gently and remove the irritation and dryness from them.
Making the Eyewash
The way you make the chervil eyewash is by boiling 6 to 8 cups of water on the top of the stove in a medium saucepan with a lid. Once the water is boiled remove it from the stove and set it on a table. After place 5 chervil teabags into the boiling water and allow them to steep for 10-minutes covered with a lid to form an herbal tea.
If you cannot find chervil teabags you can place 5 tablespoons of dried chervil in cheese cloth and tie it up and toss it into the boiling water instead to steep.
Once the tea is made remove the teabags or cheese cloth filled with herbs from the water and allow the water to completely cool for about 2-hours. After the chervil tea is cooled you can use it as an eyewash.
Using the Homemade Eyewash
The best way I find to use the homemade chervil eyewash is by pouring 2 cups of the eyewash into a large metal bowl with 6 cups of cool water. After stick your face into the bowl of eyewash and open your eyes up in the water just like you would if you were swimming underneath water.
This will help really wash the eyes out. If you do not like the sound of doing this you can take a cotton cloth and soak it in the eyewash and place it over your eyes and soak your eyes this way instead.
Doing this will help reduce the swelling and some of the irritation in your eyes. I personally like washing them out in the bowl because it is more effective. The eyewash doesn’t sting or anything.
It just feels soothing and refreshing, and after my eyes feel a lot better. The homemade chervil eyewash can also be used to help rinse dust, sand and pollen from the eyes.
Another way you can use the homemade chervil eyewash is by pouring it into a squeezable bottle and using it as a wound cleaner when you get cuts or scrapes. It will help wash out the wound and clean it right up. You may also use the squeezable bottle as another way to rinse out your eyes by tilting your head back and gently squirting the herbal wash directly into your eyes. Just make sure the bottle is super clean and has a gentle squirt cover on top because you do not want to be too rough with your eyes.
I hope this helps some of you out there suffering from dry itchy eyes looking for a natural way to relieve the irritation. I know this homemade gentle chervil eyewash works well for me.
I hope you are able to find some relief as well.
We have two little ones. One love eating everything and the other one is extremely picky. Her diet consists of noodles, rice, berries, citrus fruit and bananas.
Once in a while, we can get her to eat chicken, or her favorite protein – the hot dog.
Recently, I have been trying to get her to eat some new foods, but it has been difficult. Her favorite time to eat is in the mornings, so that is when we try to pack as much nutrients in as possible.
One of the ways I do that is with one of the 5 happy breakfast recipes I use for picky little eaters. I will share them with all of you parents out there looking for some new ways to get food into your picky little eaters too.
Teddy Bear Banana Toast
Nothing is cuter than teddy bears. All kiddos love them so why not use a teddy bear shaped head cookie cutter to create teddy bear toast. Teddy bear toast contains fruit, protein, and grains. To make it you will need:
- 1 Teddy Bear Cookie Cutter
- Butter Knife
- Skillet Pan
- Peanut butter or chocolate butter
- Banana Slices
- Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chips or Blueberries
- Slice off a piece of thick banana bread, lightly butter it and place it onto a hot skillet and toast and warm the bread for about 60 seconds per side. Sometimes you need less time than that so pay attention. There is nothing kiddos hate more than burnt food and you already have a picky eater on your hands.
- Remove the warmed toasted banana bread from the skillet pan and spread some peanut butter or chocolate butter onto it with a butter knife and place it onto a plate.
- Take 3 round banana slices and put 1 for each year and the other in the middle of the face to begin creating a snout.
- Grab your chocolate chips or blueberries and place two above the snout as eyes and one in the center of the snout to finish adding character to the bears face.
- After, serve the delicious looking piece of teddy bear banana toast up to your little one. They will love it and you will be happy they are eating.
Chocolate Covered Banana Bites
Most kiddos love bananas and chocolate, which makes this recipe perfect for them. All you need to make this recipe are:
- Two to three sliced up bananas
- Cup of melted dark chocolate chips
- Wax paper
- Cookie sheet
- Place all the slices of bananas on a waxed lined cookie sheet. Freeze the banana slices in the freezer for about an hour.
- Next, take the frozen banana slices out of the freeze and drizzle your cup of melted dark chocolate chips over the banana slices. You can melt the chocolate in a small saucepan on the stove on low heat or in the microwave in a microwave safe dish for about 30 seconds.
- Take the chocolate covered banana slices and put them back into the freezer for about 30 minutes and then you can serve them up as a breakfast treat or snack.
- To store the frozen chocolate banana slices just peel them off the wax paper and toss them into a ziplock bag and continue storing them in the freezer until your little one wants some to eat.
Owlet French Toast
Kids love simple and fun meals. Most also really love birds. A fun breakfast recipe to make is owlet french toast. To make owlet french toast you will need:
- 4 to 6 slices of sourdough bread or canadian bread
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of maple syrup
- 1 banana sliced up
- Cup of mini chocolate chips
- Mixing bowl
- Wire whisk
- In a large bowl crack your eggs into it and toss out the shells. Add in your milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, teaspoon of vanilla extract and maple syrup and give the ingredients a good whisk together until you get a yellow thick mixture to dip your bread into.
- Get a skillet nice and hot and melt about a tablespoon of butter on it. Next, soak one slice of bread at a time into the yellow mixture making sure both sides of the bread are coated. After place the soaked bread onto the hot butter skillet and cook it on each side for about a minute or until each side is golden brown. Once it has reached golden brown it is done. Do this with each slice of bread to make french toast.
- Next, take two slices of banana and place them in the center of the french toast.
- Now take two mini chocolate chips and place one in the center of each banana slice to create eyes. Then place some chocolate chips on the outside edges of the banana slice to create a feather look.
- Then, take some more chocolate chips and create a beak in the center of the french toast. By now your french toast should be looking like owlet french toast, which kiddos will adore.
- Serve the french toast up as is or with maple syrup, jam, cinnamon sugar or whip topping.
Snowman pancakes are fun to make for picky eaters because they have chocolate chips and a gummy worm, which makes them exciting to eat.
However, in this household we make gluten free pancakes because mommy likes snowman pancakes too, but cannot have gluten because of her disease. To make my yummy gluten pancakes you will need:
- Mixing bowl
- measuring cup
- Wire whisk
- Squirt bottle like a ketchup bottle
- Small funnel that fits into the squirt bottle
- Cup of 1 to 1 gluten free flour mix
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Cup of Milk
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- ⅓ Cup of mini chocolate chips
- Package of gummy worms
- Place the milk and lemon juice into the mixing bowl and let them chill out together for about 5 minutes. This will form buttermilk.
- Once the buttermilk has formed give it a good whisk together and toss in the carefully measured out ingredients of flour, honey, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, egg, melted butter, and baking powder into it. Whisk all these ingredients together well until you get a thick creamy batter.
- Now, place your funnel into the squirt bottle and pour the pancake batter into carefully.
- Heat up a skillet pan with some butter on it and squirt some pancake batter onto it to form a small circle. Then, just below the small circle make a slightly large circle to form a snowman. Cook the snowman pancake on both sides for about a minute or until golden brown.
- Create a face using the chocolate chips on the head of the snowman pancake and place a gummy worm at the base of the small circle. Then, towards the center of the bigger pancake add three chocolate chips as buttons.
- Serve the snowman pancake up with your favorite pancake toppings such as maple syrup, chocolate sauce or whipped topping.
Mango Banana Sunrise Smoothie
For the kiddos that aren’t big breakfast eaters at all you can make the sunrise mango banana smoothie. It is nourishing and energizing and buts something healthy into their little tummies. The ingredients you need to make this are:
- Cup of mango nectar juice
- ¼ cup of frozen mango chunks
- ½ cup of frozen banana chunks
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and puree them together on high speed for 60 seconds.
- Pour the smoothie into a fun cup and add a straw.
- Serve the smoothie up for a quick nourishing breakfast for picking eaters.
Dealing with picky eaters can be difficult, but hopefully it can be remedied with these five happy breakfast recipes for picky little eaters. I know our little picky eater loves them. Especially the mango banana sunrise smoothie.
My husband and daughters love bread.
I love it too, but cannot eat it because gluten just ties my stomach up in knots.
However, I still enjoy making bread for them. I find the activity calming to do so I do it on days when I need a little stress relief and something fun to do.
With that said I do cheat a bit and use my bread machine to make the butter dough that is needed to make these scrumptious herb and garlic pull apart rolls.
They aren’t exactly the healthiest, but they do pair well with just about any dish.
Ingredients Necessary for the Butter Dough
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 3 Cups of All-Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 1 Packet of Fast Rising Yeast
- ¼ Cup of Warm Water
- 1 Farm Fresh (You can use store bought I just like farm fresh!)
- ¾ Cup of Whole Warm Milk
- 6 Tablespoons of Butter
Directions for Making the Butter Dough Necessary for Making the Pull Apart Rolls
Now, again, I do not make my butter dough by hand.
I measure out all the ingredients and toss them into my bread machine, turn it onto the dough setting and allow the bread machine to do the work for me when it comes to creating the perfectly smooth butter dough ball which is needed to making the fluffy buttery herb and garlic pull apart rolls.
You can do the same, or you can mix all the ingredients by hand until you get a smooth not so sticky bounce back kind of dough ball. It’s all up to you.
The bread machine usually takes about an hour to whip me up a butter dough ball.
If you do, do it by hand you have to knead until the dough is smooth and elastic like, which takes about a good 10 minutes, and then allow the dough to rest for about an hour.
Ingredients Necessary for Making the Herb and Garlic Pull Apart Rolls
- Butter for Greasing
- ½ Cup of Garlic Infused Butter ( You can get this from most grocery stores in the bakery isle, or you can make it yourself by combining roasted minced garlic and salted butter together.)
- Teaspoon of Dried Parsley
- ½ Teaspoon of Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon of Onion Powder
Directions for Making the Herb and Garlic Pull Apart Rolls
- Pour the butter dough out onto a floured surface and cut the dough into equal parts. I typically get about a dozen equal parts of dough.
- Then I take the cuts of dough and roll them into little dough balls and place them into a well buttered casserole dish.
- After, I allow the dough to rise for about an hour.
- Next, I pour melted garlic infused butter all over the top of the risen dough balls and sprinkle on the herbs and spices.
- Now it’s only placing the dish into the oven to bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the tops are golden brown the centers of the rolls aren’t doughy.
- Next, I take them out of the oven and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes, but they do taste best warm so served them up that way.
Making the Pull Apart Herb and Garlic Rolls Gluten Free
If you do want to make some of these herb and garlic pull apart rolls, but need them gluten free just grab a couple gluten free pizza doughs for your local grocery store and use that instead.
Keep in mind the gluten free kind won’t be as fluffy and airy, but they will still taste yummy and wont twist that belly up in knots.
Some Helpful Tips to Keep in Mind
- You can serve these rolls up with marinara sauce, alfredo sauce, or pesto for a satisfyingly tasty appetizer.
- You can sprinkle freshly grated parmesan or asiago cheese onto the top of them after they are done baking to add some cheesy flavor, but we cannot do that in this household with our lactose intolerant family members. With that said, we do sometimes sprinkle on some brewers yeast, which adds some depth of cheesy flavor.
- If you have rolls left over store them in an airtight bag so they don’t become dried out and hard and you can use them later to make little ham, chicken, or egg salad sandwiches.
Stuffed cabbage rolls are one of my family’s favorite dishes.
I cook this dish up in the slow cooker because the rolls come out juicy and full of tenderness.
What we love most about this meal is it is gluten free and dairy free.
What Ingredients Are Necessary For Making Stuffed Cabbage Rolls?
- 2 pounds of pre-mixed ground meat (Should contain some pork and beef, but you could use turkey burger or ground chicken too! )
- 1 ½ cups of riced cauliflower
- 1 ½ cups of cooked quinoa
- 1 large head of cabbage
- Teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, basil, paprika, salt, black pepper and parsley
- ½ teaspoon of oregano
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 cup of bone broth or chicken broth ( I use the bone broth I make because I feel like it has more nutrients and is healthier with more flavor.)
- 1 15 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes with garlic and basil seasoning or really any Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs
How Do You Make The Stuffed Cabbage Rolls?
- Take your large cabbage head and carefully cut around the core or stem of the cabbage head to loosen up the cabbage leaves, but do not cut the cabbage head into halves or quarters. You want to carefully pull the cabbage head leaves apart one at a time until you have about a dozen of them. I find the bigger the leaves are the better the rolls come out.
- Grab a mixing bowl and add in the pre-mixed ground meat, riced cauliflower, quinoa, herbs and spices, and eggs. Combine the ingredients together as if you were making a meatloaf. Then take two to three tablespoons of the mix at a time and fill the center of each cabbage leaf. Now, roll and tuck each filled cabbage roll up the best you can as if you were wrapping up a burrito or sandwich wrap.
- Place each cabbage roll into the slow cooker, pour the chicken broth and can of petite diced tomatoes over them, drizzle the honey on top and place the lid onto the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker on low or medium heat for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve rolls up as they are with some of the delicious juice that is left behind in the slow cooker after cooking.
What Are Some Helpful Tips To Keep Mind?
- If you want to make this dish vegetarian just keep the mixed meat out and fill them with a mixture of riced cauliflower, quinoa and replace the meat mixture with about 2 to 3 cups of jasmine rice. They will still come out just as hearty and flavorful.
- If you end up forgetting to turn your slow cooker on like i have done on some occasions that’s okay. You can take the lid of your slow cooker and place some aluminum foil onto the top of the slow cooker dishes instead and bake the dinner in a 400-degree oven for about 45 minutes to an hour.