A great way to maintain optimum health and vitality is to pay close attention to the foods and drinks we take. Researchers are beginning to show scientific link between the foods we take and certain ailments
Do you know that poor food choices, too much alcohol, and certain lifestyle choices have been identified as one of the leading causes of terminal illnesses?
Therefore, take the bold step to living healthier and replace the junk with healthy whole meals, fruits and lots of greens and watch your body and your health transform itself.
And today we take a look at 10 healthy drinks which has its roots in Africa, which are packed with nutrients and vitamins needed for optimal body performance.
Let’s get started.
(Zoborodo) is a drink popular in Sub-Saharan African and is derived from properly dried Roselle plant flowers.
This healthy drink is also consumed in the Caribbean but by a different name as Roselle drink, Karkade in Sudan and Argus Fercas in Mexico.
Zobo drink is highly laced with huge deposits of vitamin C and is said to be great on hypertensive patients due to the anti-hypertensive properties it contains and is also high in anti-oxidants.
- 1 medium sized bowl of dried zobo leaves
- 20 grams of ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 whole pineapple (peeled and blended)
- 3 liters of water
- Garlic paste (according to preference)
- Any other fruits of your choice
- Wash the leaves with warm water thoroughly and pour into a pot
- Add your water
- Add your pineapples, ginger and garlic paste( and any other fruits of your choice)
- Cook and high heat for 15 minutes
- Then sieve the liquid content in a clean bowl
- Allow to cool
And serve with some ice cubes and your delicious drink is ready to be enjoyed with friends.
It should be refrigerated and consumed with moderation.
This is an excellent replacement for processed diary and loaded with proteins and low in saturated fats.
They are an efficient way of controlling cholesterols, great for your heart and are completely Lactose-free.
Soya milk is loaded with phytoestrogen, which is found in plants and which functions as testosterone stabilizer, which aids in the prevention of prostate cancer in older men.
Research has shown that men who eat foods rich in Soya have a lesser predisposition to prostate hypertrophy or prostate cancer.
- 1 teas cup of raw soya beans about 300g ( washed and soaked for minimum of 9 hours
- 3 liters of warm water
- ½ cup of sugar, sweetener or stevia
- I table spoon of vanilla or chocolate flavors
- Wash Soya and Soak in water preferably overnight.
- Drain the water and rub in between your palms to peel off the skin
- Add your water to the soaked beans with 2 quarts fresh water pour into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the beans into a pot using a fine sieve to remove the chaff
- Add ginger paste
- Place under medium heat and boil the liquid for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir at close intervals to ensure it doesn’t lump together
- Add your flavor and sweetener to taste
- Place in room temperature to cool and refrigerate
Add some ice to it and is ready to drink.
Tiger Nuts Milk
Tiger nuts are creamy nuts which serves as a snack, grown in the northern part of Nigeria and have a creamy taste, and are loaded with lots of nutrients.
Imagine all that creaminess with no risk of cholesterol, trans fat or saturated fats.
They are a delicious way to indulge your taste buds while keeping you healthy and nourished.
- 400 grams of dried tiger nuts (soaked in warm water for minimum 8 hours)
- Coconuts (shredded)
- Dates (soaked for 5 hours)
- 10 grams of ginger (shredded)
- 2 liters of water
- Pour softened tiger nuts in a blender
- Add coconuts and softened dates
- Add water and ginger
- And blend until smooth
- Sieve the mixture, using a cheese cloth ( preferably twice)
And voila your milk is ready. Keep refrigerated to preserve.
This drink is natural to Ghana and an excellent way of ridding yourself of toxins using the anti bacterial properties loaded in gingers.
Gingers are great for your heart and your cholesterol level and are an excellent weight loss aid.
Incorporating Gingers into your meals are a wonderful way of keeping your blood cholesterol controlled while getting rid of bad toxins.
- 3 medium ginger ( peeled and grated) and
- 1 medium Lemon(juiced)
- 1 teaspoon of cloves
- 1 cup of natural orange juice
- 4 cups of hot water
- Pour the ginger into a pot and add cloves, and add hot water
- Boil for 40 to 50 minutes
- Add the 3 glasses of water, sugar and orange juice and allow to simmer
- Allow to cool and sieve the mixture using a fine sieve to remove the chaff and add some lemon juice
Store preferably in a glass jug and keep refrigerated.
Best served with some cubes of ice.
Sugar Cane Drink
This drink is ideal for those who crave something natural and sweet without the health implications associated with soda.
Sugar canes are concentrated with large amounts of calcium, iron, potassium, etc. and are highly alkaline in nature.
Research has shown that sugar canes are effective in the prevention of cancer, especially prostates and breast cancers, due to its high alkaline deposits, as cancer cells cannot survive in an alkaline environment.
- 3 long stalks of sugar cane
- 10g of ginger
- Wash the sugar cane and peel the outer layer
- Chop in tiny pieces
- Pour into a power blender, add your ginger and water
- Sieve using a fine clothe to get out the liquid.
And viola your juice is ready to drink.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.